A glimpse at the goings on of the operation responsible for bringing you the irregularly published comics reportage anthology, SYNCOPATED.

Saturday, July 22, 2006

Syncopated?


From time to time, people ask me, "Why Syncopated?" or "What does Syncopated mean?"

Well, it's a musical element that is prominent in a lot f the old jazz music I enjoy listening to -- I guess that's why I picked it. But it sort of makes sense for other reasons, too. Here's what the dictionary has to say regarding syncopation:

syn·co·pa·tion
Pronunciation: "si[ng]-k&-'pA-sh&n
Function: noun
1 : a temporary displacement of the regular metrical accent in music caused typically by stressing the weak beat

So essentially it means a stress of the weak beat, right? Yes, well I said that to someone once, and they said, "Weak? But don't you want people to think that the work you're producing in your magazine is strong, not weak?"

Yes, of course, but not "weak" as in "not strong" -- "weak" as in "ignored" or "unaccented" as the dictionary says... The idea is that first person reportage can reveal something that may have gone unnoticed otherwise.

Sigh... I always feel so compelled to explain myself -- I should've just named it something completely arbitrary with no real meaning. Oh, well, I hope this sets the record straight.

- Brendan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home