A glimpse at the goings on of the operation responsible for bringing you the irregularly published comics reportage anthology, SYNCOPATED.

Friday, September 01, 2006

A Useless Preview?

I've always been conflicted about whether it makes any sense to post work-in-progress on the internet.

Here's why:

Say I've done a short story of eight pages or so, and I plan to use it in a future edition of my magazine one day -- why post the full story on the web? It might deter a potential reader from buying the book that the story would one day appear -- They may be satisfied with the fact that they've read the thing, and that's that. It's honestly not a major concern that I have that person's money in my pocket, but (and I don't want to sound like a snob or anything), It's important to me that the reader hold what was intended in the first place; a printed book.

Okay, so then why not just post some of the story, right? Well, I don't know, then the reader is forced to pass some level of judgment on the piece without having read the entire story.

Well, despite this senseless inner-debate I'm posting the second page to a four-page story I did about the origin of one of New York's many monikers, "Gotham". It will, in all likelihood appear in SYNCOPATED Vol.3. (click image for the larger version)



Why page two? I don't know, I guess the first page isn't deep enough to be worth it, and besides, this page has that funny guy with the British Rock invasion haircut in the lower right hand panel.

Enjoy, but please don't judge just yet... And, my apologies for all of the stupid flip-flopping.

- Brendan

2 Comments:

Blogger Rod McKie said...

You needed worry about being judged on a small sample. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I really like your drawings. You're writing is great as well. I so want to hate you.

4:18 AM

 
Blogger Rod McKie said...

On the other hand, my writing
'you're (you are) writing is great' won't seem like a compliment, but it was so very late. I looked again and still enjoyed it. Where's the edit button for grammatically-challenged posters?

7:20 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home