A glimpse at the goings on of the operation responsible for bringing you the irregularly published comics reportage anthology, SYNCOPATED.

Monday, February 26, 2007

The NY ComicCon Experience

This past weekend, I set up shop at the 2nd annual New York ComicCon. Last year, the inaugural year, I was surprised at how well I did (considering the element that is known to attend this sort of show). I didn't necessarily feel as though I fit in as well as I might at say the MoCCA Art Fest or SPX, but financially it made sense. This year, with a new book in tow, I figured it would be a no-brainer to grab a table and see how the ol' Syncopated operation might fare. Again, financially, it was a wise move -- I showed up with six boxes of books, and I went home with two (one of which was mainly filled with free stuff acquired throughout the weekend). The new volume of Syncopated was well received.

Very little evidence of the jubilation for my time spent this weekend at the show exists, but I was able to snatch the photo below from my pal Chris Butcher's blog (which, by the way wouldn't be a bad site to bookmark). As you can see, Mr. Jim Campbell and I are quite tickled by the success we experienced at the show.



And, although I haven't been able to listen back at it, I'm sure I displayed a great amount of zest while I was featured on the increasingly popular Indie Spinner Rack podcast show. As soon as I have a link to the interview I'll post it here.

However, as I mentioned, I didn't necessarily feel as though I fit in. I figure I'll take this opportunity to post a few photos to show how well Syncopated Comics blended with the majority of the attendees of the NY ComicCon. Bear with me...


























I guess I feel sort of bad about the sarcastic tone of this post -- I'm well aware of the fact that comics is comics, and all the many faces of comics enthusiasts contribute to the overall good will toward the art form. But I suppose I wish it didn't have to be so pathetically redundant and inbred sometimes (as these photos clearly illustrate). A part of me also feels bad for taking advantage of the very-proud-to-pose-for-a-picture characters that were walking around the show -- but they have to know what they're getting into, right?

Anyway, all cynicism and ungratefulness aside, I'll probably attend again next year, if for no other reason than to see/meet/sell-to the numerous like-minded comics fans who attend this show -- they really do make me feel good about what it is we're all trying to do.

- Brendan

3 Comments:

Blogger Katie Rose said...

ha the roague and gambit live in my dorm, i saw them in the hallway amping themselves up.

11:39 AM

 
Blogger arcticcircle said...

Please tell me there were some normal looking people there too... From these pictures, only the kids looked like they didn't have psychological problems.

4:52 PM

 
Blogger Caroline said...

Virgins deserve respect, too.

8:26 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home